Design and project management team

The remediation project may be led by an architect, an architectural designer or an NZIBS Building Surveyor specialising in remediation. The lead consultant should be clearly identified, and the roles of secondary consultants should also be clearly defined. To ensure efficiency and value for money, engaging with a team of professionals who are experienced in this kind of work and familiar with processes and practices is recommended.

During design

As well as an architect or architectural designer, remediation design may involve a number of other professionals.

As noted above, an NZIBS Building Surveyor specialising in remediation may be leading the project. If an architect or designer is leading the project and does not have previous experience in the design of remediation projects, consulting with another experienced designer and/or an NZIBS Building Surveyor is recommended. 

The NZIBS Building Surveyor should provide input into design and also during construction and is responsible for identification of timber decay.

Other professionals likely to be required include a structural engineer, a quantity surveyor, a land surveyor and (for multi-unit buildings) a fire engineer.

Having an experienced remediation builder as part of the team during the development of the remediation solution is recommended.

Building work that involves wall and roof cladding – work that affects the weathertightness of the structure – falls into the area of restricted building work (RBW).

Restricted building work must be carried out or supervised by a licensed building practitioner (LBP) who holds the appropriate licence. For example, work on a plaster-based cladding system that goes beyond the minor repairs and maintenance is restricted building work. Anyone carrying this out must hold an external plastering licence or be supervised by someone who does.

There are different categories or classes of licence. Someone who has a licence in one class cannot carry our or supervise RBW in other areas. The licence classes are:

  • design
  • carpentry
  • roofing
  • bricklaying/blocklaying
  • external plastering
  • foundation 
  • site.

Registered architects and chartered professional engineers are treated as LBPs in the design class, so they can design or supervise the design of restricted building work.

All RBW requires building consent.

Back to top

During construction

The lead consultant will generally retain a project management or contract administration role throughout. This will include:

  • acting as the owner’s agent in dealings with the builder and BCA
  • resolving on-site issues (such as the extent of timber replacement)
  • authorising payments to contractors
  • observing quality and adherence to the documentation
  • reporting to the owner as construction proceeds.

If the lead consultant is not retained in this role, a contract administrator may be needed, which may be a project manager, quantity surveyor or NZIBS Building Surveyor.

On larger-scale projects, employing a clerk of works is recommended to oversee the project, to monitor quality and progress more closely than a designer can, to be the owner’s agent on site and to be the link between the designer and contractors where on-going assessment of building condition is being carried out.

Back to top

The owner’s role

Unless they are specifically experienced in construction, the owner’s direct involvement in a remediation project is not recommended. However, issues such as tender options should be discussed with the owner, and it may helpful for the owner to attend site meetings.

Updated: 13 February 2018